Friday, October 05, 2007

My Two Front Teeth, A Pony, and To Be A Rock Star

So today is my birthday, and I am married to the best man in the world.
Tonight, we go off to have our first "real" dinner without Baby Girl. I mean we've had a quick bite to eat before a movie, but we haven't really gone out to have a sit-down dinner without her since she was born. We're going to a place in Joliet that we discovered when someone Jason married had their rehearsal dinner catered there.
Last night he made me pancakes, as I had asked him to do. But he didn't just make me any pancakes, he made me these with chocolate sauce and whipped cream.
He also gave me my birthday present last night so that I could have a cup of coffee with my dinner.
I have been salivating over a Keurig coffee machine for some time. Well, that is, ever since we got one at work and the fact that it takes 20 minutes for our long-loved thermal coffee pot to make four cups of coffee also was pushing me a little bit in that direction. So last night, Jason and Baby Girl gave me what is the equivalent of a bag of smack for the caffeine junky, a Keurig B60.


You put in the K-cup, push the button, and 15 seconds later you have a perfectly brewed cup of coffee every single time. This may be the year of the appliances for me.
I hadn't had these particular pancakes for two years, when the last time was when we had gone to the Lake for my birthday that year at my Uncle's and Aunt's cabin. That year all I had wanted to do was cook (I find it incredibly relaxing; good food, with enough care, is something that is infinitely controllable and reaps benefits which can far outweigh the effort) and have other people clean up after me. So, I had knocked these pancakes together for desert one evening. I had forgotten how incredibly delicious, satisfying, and comforting they are.
This year, I was perfectly content to have Jason make them for me, and watch him while I flipped through the selection of coffees for the K-cups. It is odd because two years ago was such a different birthday as we hadn't quite started this adventure known as parenthood, even though we knew we intended to start it, soon.
I sit here at this birthday, contemplating my place in the world, and I find that I like it more and more. Life is settling into a pattern that I am starting to recognize again as my own. I am 32 (I will never be one of those people who turns 29 for the fifteenth time; I'm quite proud of the fact that I am still on the Earth) and I have a good job with people I like and respect (and I don't feel like I'm taking Satan's money when I get my paycheck, either), I get to do theatre every once in a while, I love my child enough to actually contemplate having more, and I love my partner. I am becoming more and more enamored with the idea that the things that are happening while I'm trying to get my life in order, well, those actually are my life, and they are good.
So, Happy Birthday, to me. Oh, and, I realize there aren't any shopping days left until my birthday . . . but, no worries; I'm sure Keurig offers Gift Certificate options on their website.

No comments: