Saturday, May 09, 2009

Four Months Down, 212 More To Go

Shortly after Roslyn was born, we were remarking with friends that after the birth of a child, your conversations as a couple remarkably take a turn toward poo. You start discussing excrement -- how many did the baby have, what color was it, how much, what was the consistency, did you remember to buy OxiClean -- in an amazing array of detail, going places in your conversation that you never thought you would venture when you got married, let alone when you started dating.
This does wane after some while. But with a new baby, we were firmly back into the poo discussions. Roslyn, however, was not to be outdone by her baby brother.
She pooped in the potty for the first time last week at daycare. When they told us when we came to pick her up that day, Jason and I both exclaimed in joy, like we had won the lottery. I couldn't help sitting on my own shoulder watching that moment and thinking to myself, "I can't believe I am rejoicing with two relative strangers about my daughter's defecation accomplishments, and this feels like all is right with the world." Sigh. Life is too, too weird.

This post originally was going to start out at as a diatribe about 3 o'clock. Which one you ask? Well, my response would be, pick one and pick a kid. You see, about 3 pm Roslyn really wants to play and wants all of your attention. At 3 am Sam really wants to nurse, and doesn't want to let go for love or money (not that I've offered it, or anything, I'm just saying ...). But now Sam is having freaky sleep and freaky naps which means a lot more unknowns when he gets that glazed look in his eyes and I have seemingly missed my window to only complain about 3 am as we have thrown the door open on complaining about the entire day. And, for the record, a cranky Sam that needs sleep anytime of the day means difficulties with Roslyn as she has limited patience for the game of, "let's be quiet while I jiggle Sam". I don't think she appreciates how fun this is.

I would be remiss to not mention how much Roslyn's vocabulary has grown in the last couple of months. She has a very earnest way of telling a story that is beyond adorable, it makes her pucker up her lips and she looks out of the corner of her eyes and kind of shakes her head for emphasis, way too cute. Not to mention, she has taken to saying, "I like it" while eating anything with sugar in it.

I've gone back to work, don't you know. This is ok. As with Roslyn, I was thrilled to go back, but ambivalent at the same time about leaving baby at home. Same issues, different child. But being at work means I am an overall saner mommy, and that feels good. It has left for some complicated logistics of how to parent two when you both work and Jason and I have negotiated some good territory. We each have a swim day during the week, so we get out to the Y. We've got a sleep routine down so I get at least 2-3 hours of uninterrupted sleep a day. And we're eating real food at dinnertime. I am particularly proud of this accomplishment. Except for a couple of days where we fell of the wagon becuase of a funeral, we have had a real dinner every night for about 90% of our meals since the middle of March. We have both stepped up on this one, I have modified my work schedule for a few months to cope with the melty-time for Sam in the evenings and the outcome is that we eat together for dinner 4 to 5 times a week, all of us together. I am so proud of this, that I have been thinking about sharing it with you all every week. So, what we ate last week:
Saturday: Turkey Burger Slammers with Sweet Potato Fries
Sunday
: Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
Monday: Skillet Penne with Sausage and Tomate
Tuesday: Sesame Noodles with Asian Carrot Slaw
Wednesday: Jamaican Chicken Curry
Thursday: Salmon Burgers with "dry" Indian Potatoes and Creamy Cucumber Salad
Friday: Tomato Soup and Rice
Saturday: Turkey Meatballs in Chipotle Sauce

No comments: